Clark Chevrolet-Cadillac in Pinehurst, NC is considered to be one of the most beautiful building structures in the Pinehurst area.
It was owned by the Tufts family and the structure was designed by an architectural firm out of Chicago, Illinois. The Tufts' desire was to have the building resemble a “classy” hotel. The original building with its pillars in front of the current Service Department, were four bricks thick and all the wood was of original hard pine that dated back to 1923.
The original dealership, known as The Pinehurst Garage, was opened for business November 15, 1923. Originally, Packards were sold from this location. Above the Service Department on the second floor were nine separate rooms that housed the chauffeurs for the people staying at the Carolina Hotel. The Pinehurst Garage received its Chevrolet franchise in 1933 and its Cadillac franchise in 1948. It remained The Pinehurst Garage until August 2, 1971. During that year the town was sold to the Diamondhead Corporation, from which Bill Clark purchased the dealership.
The two body shop buildings were built in 1976 and 1985. The beautiful brick and glass Chevrolet showroom was built in 1988.
Clark Chevrolet-Cadillac has remained in the family name. Troy Clark has taken over the business from his father, Bill Clark. His desire, like his father's, is to see that the dealership remains one of the most beautiful automotive structures around. This requires constant maintenance and updating to keep the original historical look.